Agile Coach – Job Description
We are a large Insurance Organization committed to bringing Agility at all levels – Individual, Team, Project, Program, Portfolio, and Enterprise. We have been piloting agile practices in a few projects for over a year. Based on the positive results and leadership support, we are expanding the adoption across various portfolios, while focusing on transformation not just within software development but across People, Process and Behaviors.
We are embracing Agile Transformation for the following reasons:
1. The Agile Transformation Team is seeking an Agile Coach who will be responsible for supporting existing Agile implementation and driving it toward higher level of adoption and maturity.
2. The Agile Coach will work closely with partners, particularly Scrum Masters and Delivery/Engineering Managers, to evaluate software delivery methodology, develop strategies for applying agile principles, improve the ability for Product/Project Teams to deliver faster, and ultimately ensure these concepts and practices are well absorbed within the enterprise.
He or She will:
1. Develop strategies for building the framework and rolling it out.
2. Identify the appropriate Agile methodology for use (Scrum, Kanban, etc.) and plan on sharing materials with the Product/Project Teams
3. Be accountable for the assigned teams, help them understand these concepts and apply them efficiently for successful program delivery.
4. Actively coach team members from our managed service providers and ensure alignment across all MSPs.
5. Aid ATT in building a better culture/work environment not only within the teams, but across several other departments.
Roles and Responsibilities:
1. Define and ensure adoption of the Agile Framework within Underwriting Transformation and other similar large Programs with a goal to drive Enterprise wide Agile Transformation.
2. Demonstrate servant leadership and the behaviors that come with the key mindset shifts associated with agile methods
3. Coach teams and management towards improving Agile process and metrics.
4. Evaluate and mentor existing Scrum teams, and deliver training classes for product owners, scrum masters and delivery team members (FT and Consultants).
5. Develop, implement and manage team metrics, evaluate team metrics and make recommendations to teams and management for improvements.
6. Aid in organization-wide agile adoption strategy and rollout plans
7. Provide solutions for scaling agile across projects, programs and portfolios and improve Application delivery.
8. Guide leadership team in embracing the principles (Framework and Engineering related)
9. Provide training to the team members
10. Coach Agile teams with the enterprise Agile Framework and show others how their tasks are done in an Agile environment.
11. Prepare and publish learning materials.
12. Be flexible by playing the Scrum Master role as needed and demonstrate/coach new Scrum Masters.
13. Must be experienced with Dual Track Scrum, Kanban, XP, DevOps, Continuous Delivery, Lean Software Development, Lean UX, Lean Startup, Design Thinking, Lean Change Management, Agile Management, Agile Leadership, Collaborative Learning, Communities of Practice, Agile HR, Agile Marketing, Agile Accounting, Beyond Budgeting, Agile Contracts, and scaling frameworks, like SAFe, LeSS, DAD, etc.
14. Be open and embrace ideas and approaches from fellow coaches, teams, managers, leaders, and feedback from Managed Service Providers, etc. – exemplifying and embracing the spirit of collaboration and diversity.
1. Deliver formal instruction to others (for example, lead classroom training).
2. Ability to write and develop instructional content (including training programs, written procedures, or any other instructional material).
3. Identify learning objectives.
4. Schedule teams for training or certification programs.
1. Agile certifications (Scrum Master, SAFe, Product Owner, Practitioner, etc.)
2. 4+ years Agile coaching experience
3. 5+ years Agile work experience on Agile teams
4. Leading large organizations/enterprise through Agile and product team transformations
5. Leading coaching and learning programs for product teams
6. DSDM Practitioner, Advanced Practitioner, trainer/Coach, Consultant
Additional Job Details: Must-haves –
1. Must be comfortable working across all levels.
2. Must share URLs to the candidate’s Linkedin profile, Agile blogs or related materials.
3. Must have 2-3 references from past organizations, who can endorse for successful implementation of Agile practices
4. Must have a positive attitude with a strong verbal and written communication skills, and strong leadership skills to create positive transformational impact to organizations at large.
5. Must be willing to work in a highly dynamic environment, and skilled in resolving conflicts, demonstrate strong persuasive/negotiation skills.
6. Must be willing to work collaboratively with existing and/or additional Agile coaches, Scrum Masters and support Transformation team and the organization in building a cohesive vision.
Nice to have –
· Insurance related experience
· Local candidate preferable, but can accommodate traveling consultants (M-Th).
1. Lean, Continuous improvement experience/certifications
2. DevOps experience (build automation, test automation, test driven development (TDD), Continuous Integration (CI), Continuous Development (CD), Infrastructure as code, etc.)
3. Technical/development experience (Guidewire, java/other coding, scripting, infrastructure development, application development)
Additional Notes based on prior FAQs –
· Multiple Large Business Transformation programs with extensive Discovery & Delivery efforts with various globally distributed teams. (Majority of our development work is performed in India)
· Most of the teams, managers, and leaders are new to agile.
· There is a strong commitment to being Agile by Leadership members.
· VersionOne is chosen as the primary Enterprise Agile Portfolio/Software Delivery Management tool.
· Traditionally, there has been a strong focus on Use Cases and Big Upfront Requirements, Architecture, and Design. Agile Coach that we are seeking must be hands-on with the team to help shift the mindset.
· Teams are transitioning from Use Cases to User Stories, with Agile Modeling, light Documentation, and iterative approaches as opposed to once-through waterfall approaches.
· Agile Coach will be reporting the Enterprise Transformation Lead and must be able to work collaboratively with other Agile Coaches and members of the transformation lead.